product backlog is a living artefact, higher ranked items should be more
refined. It is a placeholder for a conversation.
Each refined story in the sprint must have a weight/complexity for planning
purposes. These estimates must be done by the people actually doing the work.
They should also have a business value and the
product owner must share a
clear objective/vision for the forthcoming sprint.
Humans are bad at estimating how long will take. But they are good at comparing the complexity of tasks: is task two more complex than task one? Use complexity points to move away from thinking about duration.
Use the Fibonacci sequence so you don’t overthink it: is it 2.5 or 3 complexity points?
Is this piece of work larger or smaller than this other thing we did last week?
Estimate against work that’s already been performed. New backlog? Estimate against a known thing. It might be useful to build up and maintain a list of example tasks and complexities.
- One line change in a config file.
- Multiple line change in a config file.
- One line change in a compiled file.
- Multiple line change in a compiled file.
- Create new Visual Studio project.
Remember that the daily scrum is not a status meeting for the scrum master,
it’s a planning meeting for the dev team. It’s also intended for the dev team
so doesn’t necessarily include the
scrum master of
product owner. Don’t
look at the
scrum master, look at the board.
- What did I do yesterday that…
- What will I do today that…
- Do I see any impediment that prevents me or the team from…
The scrum master
's prime responsibility is removing impediments. Learn to navigate the politics of your organisation. A dead scrum master is a useless scrum master. scrum master
is responsible for success of current sprint,product owner
is responsible for the planning of upcoming sprints.scrum
master` is also responsible for ensuring that planning occurs.
Meeting the sprint goal
- Teams who manually update their burn down chart show more awareness of how they are pacing toward their goal.
- Invest 10 % of time in refining of backlog. Nice Friday afternoon activity. Not critical that they occur on the same day.
- Wednesday is a good start sprint day.
- Scope bound versus time bound.
- Burn up isn’t part of Scrum framework but is effective.
product owneris the only one who sets the direction of the team.
sprint review is not the
product owner's chance to review work done
during the Sprint. It gives stakeholders the opportunity to give feeback on the
state and direction of the product. And collaborate on the goals for the next
Remove rough estimates from backlog prior to sprint planning.
- Efficiency versus effectiveness?
- Cross-functional dev team
- How to introduce Agile gradually
- Planning poker
- Create reference items so the team has something to compare to
- Predictability is the goal, not velocity
- Frequent delivery with client feedback.
- Script the manual installation procedure.
- Produce delivery of software at the end of each scrum
- Who is the customer?
- Feature list? Action > result > object
As a <role> I want <feature> so that <benefit>. Given <context> when <something happens> then <desired result>.
Encourage simplicity: don’t put the implementation details in the requirement.
Stories should be:
- Sized appropriately
- How do we test?
- Schedule demo of actual software on representative hardware.
- Use comments to direct the next batch of work.